To avoid freezing damage to your sprinkler system, it is critical to winterize the system each fall. Below are the proper steps for winterizing a self draining sprinkler system installed by Rothwell Landscape, Inc. It is important to do this correctly to protect your investment. Please contact Brent to be placed on our fall winterization schedule.
- Locate the six inch round valve pot lid usually located near the water meter.
- Remove the lid by placing a finger in the hole and pulling up.
- Using a flashlight, look down the PVC sleeve and locate the cross handle of the shut off valve.
- Place the irrigation key down the sleeve and in between the cross until you feel and see it catch on the cross.
- Turn the key CLOCKWISE several revolutions until the valve handle no longer wants to turn.
- Turn the key another ¼ of a turn to ensure valve is shut completely off.
- Remove the key and replace the valve pot lid.
- Locate the rectangular valve box.
- Remove the lid by placing a screwdriver, shovel, or other strong, thin tool at one end of the box in between the green lid and the black rim of the box itself.
- Pry the lid open by pulling back on the tool until the lid latch releases.
- Once the lid is removed, locate the four test ports of the backflow preventer. These are usually sticking up on top of the device and have black rubber covers on them.
- On the side of these test ports is a flat blade screw slot. Using a short handled, flat blade screwdriver, turn each screw ¼ of a turn in either direction.
- Remove the black rubber covers by unscrewing them counter-clockwise.
- Turn the two blue handles to a 45-degree angle by turning them in the direction of the flow of water.
- Replace the valve box lid.
- With the normal runtimes still programmed, turn the control box to the AUTO position for one week. This will continue to cycle the electric valves without any water passing through them, thus helping to release the pressure in the pipes and allow the system to drain properly.
- After one week, turn the control box to the OFF position. Your system is now properly drained for the winter.
06/15/2018Bagworms are out!
Bagworm Treatment As the calendar turns June and July, one pest to be on the lookout for is bagworms....
ROTHWELL LANDSCAPE: Bagworms will munch on just about anything green. However, they are most damaging...
05/17/201830th Annual Manhattan Area Garden Tour
30th Annual Manhattan Area Garden Tour Visit five residential gardens as well as the Gardens at Kansas...
05/24/201729th Annual Manhattan Area Garden Tour
29th Annual Manhattan Area Garden Tour Visit six residential gardens as well as the Gardens at Kansas...